Each year Expertise Centre Humanitaire Communicatie award the Humanitarian Communication Thesis Prize to the best Master’s thesis on the representation of the Global South written by a student at a Dutch or Belgium university or other academic institution in the Netherlands or Belgium. The winner receives the thesis prize and a cash prize.
To enter the competition and be eligible for the Humanitarian Communication Thesis Prize 2021, a few conditions apply. Your thesis must have been:
- completed between January 1, 2020 and September 1, 2021;
- written at a university or other academic institution in the Netherlands or Belgium;
- written in either Dutch or English;
- focused on communication (in the broadest sense) on development issues in the Global South, in any discipline or area of knowledge, including humanitarian communication, discourses of international development, the use of stereotypes of ‘developing’ countries and peoples, or on any other topic related to both communication and the Global South.
Your thesis will be reviewed by a selected committee and assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic quality and originality;
- Societal relevance and urgency;
- Writing style and argumentative structure of the thesis.
How to apply
To enter the competition, please fill in the registration form at https://bit.ly/hucom-thesis-prize-2021 and send a digital copy of your thesis (and a proof of your grade) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2021 (mentioning ‘Humanitarian Communication Thesis Prize 2021’).
In case the file is bigger than 10MB, please use WeTransfer or a similar file transfer site.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: NOVEMBER 1, 2021
The award will be presented at a celebratory public event in early 2022, most likely somewhere in Amsterdam. For any remaining questions, please contact email@example.com.