- Better information and greater freedom of choice for young people about their sexuality
- Improved access to reproductive health commodities
- Better sexual and reproductive health care (during pregnancy and childbirth, including safe abortion)
- Greater respect for the sexual and reproductive rights of groups who are currently denied these rights.
Who we are
Share-Net Netherlands has 25 members from NGOs and the Private Sector, 10 Universities & Research Institutes, 14 individual members and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The members form the core of the network and initiate and organize knowledge activities, together with the Share-Net secretariat.
The Secretariat coordinates and facilitates the implementation of activities. It is held accountable for the delivery of outputs and meeting requirements for complete and timely reporting.
The Share-Net secretariat is hosted by KIT and consists of:
- Colin Dixon (Share-Net International Coordinator)
- Karen ’t Hooft (Share-Net International Country Coordinator)
- Meike Stieglis (Share-Net Netherlands Coordinator)
- Kimberley Meijers (Share-Net Project Officer)
- Anke van der Kwaak (Share-Net International Senior Advisor)
The Core Group (CG) of Share-Net Netherlands is an advisory body for the Dutch Knowledge Node within Share-Net International and consists of 7-9 members, representing and mobilizing the Network members in the Netherlands to discuss critical issues in the SRHR and development field. There is a balance between members with expertise in the SRHR and HIV fields. The CG members represent the diversity of the network and breadth of its members interest. The CG members are proposed and appointed by the members in the annual business meeting for a period of three years and meet quarterly and whenever issues necessitate an extra meeting.
Share-Net has 11 working groups in which members take part. These working groups each developed a detailed knowledge agenda and strategy. This will inform the content and development of knowledge management activities, such as thematic & lunch meetings, pieces of research, and discussion groups. The following working groups are currently active and can be joined by members!
Eight working groups based on our core themes:
- Teenage Pregnancy & Child Marriage
- Youth Friendly Health Services
- Comprehensive Sexuality Education
- Gender-based Violence
- Abortion and contraception
- SRHR and HIV integration
- Engagement with the Private Sector
- Sexual Diversity
Three other working groups:
What we do
Meetings, discussions, (de)-briefings
Share-Net organises a diverse range of meetings. For example, large thematic meetings which occur 4 times a year, based on one of the core themes, attract around 60-80 people. But also smaller ones to discuss a certain topic, have interesting presentations or give (de)-briefings of global happenings. Meetings are also organized when a new research or report comes out.
Furthermore, we coordinate with other activities planned or initiated by members in the Netherlands. Also, we will monitor and attend relevant international conferences and discussion forums and report back to the members by debriefing meetings and/or reports which will be published on the website.